29 December 2011

Making Applesauce

SO - this post is about two months late.

We're on vacation (hooray for grad school winter break!) at the Davis Enclave and I have a moment to clean up my computer files.  Read:  I'm sick in bed and I'm bored out of my mind.  So I'm tidying up iPhoto and I came across our little photo shoot that the girls and I did when we canned our first batch of applesauce ever.

So, without any more boring introduction, here's what we did:

Washing the Apples

Olivia and her fancy pose.

I have no idea what is happening here.

Cutting up the apples to cook.

Elsie and her table knife. 
Also, I have no idea why she is wearing two shirts.

All the pots a'boiling.

PLUS these apples, too.  Not cooking yet.

Olivia (wo)mans the food mill.

The food mill is amazing. 
I cooked the whole apple and this baby sorted out the nasty bits.

Yum.  I guess I forgot to take a photo of the final product.  I know there must be one somewhere, but I suppose in all the hurry to can those babies quickly for fear of botulism, I forgot to document.  Oh, well.
Needless to say, the girls love it.  They won't eat store made applesauce, which is bad, because we don't have enough to last until the new season.  Come over before its all gone.  Next year, we're making 4 bushels.



No comments: