02 April 2004

seeds and roots

I sort of cheated on this one... It's really a response to a friend's entry, so you should check that out first:

http://webble.orangecrayon.com/archives/2004_03.html

It's entitled "Serenity Lady Gives Birth" and it is whoppin' awesome.

Have you read it yet?
.
.
.
.
Okay, then read on:

Bahiyyih!

Wow! What a cool (I sat and tried to figure out a fitting word to describe what I feel and cool is the best I could do...) way to describe labor.

I have a good friend who once told me that the way she dealt with her menstrual cramps by thinking that the pain was a sacrifice that she made so that she would be able to have babies in the future.

And there's this really cool song by the Roots called "Sacrifice" and it goes like this:

Tell you one lesson I've learned
If you want to get something in life
You ain't gonna get it unless
You give a little bit of sacrifice...

And I've been thinking about that, and about the early Baha'i believers and about our American culture and our fear of death and pain...

And wow - it's a crazy mix.

I really appreciate that you posted this.

Sacrifice. It's definitely got a "negative" image in our society - but yeah - think about the seed. it's got to split to grow, and once it splits, it's no longer a seed. And it doesn't really have any idea of what it's going to be to make it feel better about splitting - it just knows it has to grow!

So split it up!

No comments: